Tips on making a good chiffon cake

You see, every time I bake a chiffon cake it turns out well except that the top half tends to be rather compact. It's not loose or springy as it should be. Why is this so?

I thought it was because the bottom part was not mixed properly but even though I mix the batter well before pouring it in the tin, the cake still does not turn out right. I have tried making the cake several times but each time I get the same result. I hope you can help me solve this problem as I am a very keen cake-maker and I would try a recipe several times to get good results. But this time I have to really seek your help as no one seems to be able to help me. (Chiffon cake is my daughter's favourite.)

Answer
The success of chiffon cake depends on incorporating as much air into the batter as possible. Pay attention to beating the eggs and sugar, folding in the flour and filling the cake pan.

If the eggs are separated, it is essential to whisk the egg yolk or egg white until light, white and very fluffy. The mixture is ready when it is thick enough to leave a trail on the surface when the whisk is lifted out.

Folding in the flour should be done light-handedly and quickly so as not to deflate the air bubbles captured in the beaten egg mixture.

Fill the cake pan immediately as the batter will lose volume if it is left standing for too long. Hold the bowl over the ungreased tube pan and gently pour in the batter, turning the pan as you pour so that the batter is even. Use a rubber spatula to cut through the batter several times to ensure even mixing and to dispel air pockets.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Your Mind